April 7, 2011

Penchant for Pennants

I am making a pennant banner as a part of the decorations for the baby shower I throwing. When I was scouring the craft stores for a month looking for the best deals possible I found a cute book of scrapbooking paper for half off. It was already a pretty good deal at $10 but at half off I couldn't say no. It isn't specifically baby themed but that works for me. I wanted to make something with his name on it so that it could be hung in his nursery as a part of the decor.

Baby's name will be Gerret- so six letters. I chose four different patterns of paper. Two plain in shades of blue and two patterned for the top layer. The scrapbook paper is 12x12 and this allows me to do three triangles per sheet at 6 inches wide and 12 inches long. I'm using a regular old paper cutter to cut it cleanly. The top triangle I'm making 1 1/2 smaller in width and 2 inches shorter in length. I used scissors similar to pinking shears for a more decorative top triangle.

To do the letters I had to improvise. All of you super crafty people will turn to your cricket machines or whatever method you have for cutting out letters that look awesome. You could also do chipboard letters. 



For a couple of reasons I went old school on this, I mean super old school. I used a stencil and painted on the name.



I would have preferred to have the name cut out- but I though painting it would look cleaner than tracing the stencils and then cutting the letters out by hand.


 It was actually hard to find a paint that would cover those bold polka dots. In the end an oil paint worked the best. Thankfully I had a bunch of different options already so it was no trouble to try tons of options.


I expectantly ended up with little triangles scraps when I cut out the large ones. They measure about 2x6in.



I was able to use them to make a small pennant that I think I will use for the front of the table.


What a fun little bonus decoration for basically no extra work or effort. Love when that happens!

I was featured on 
 Simply Sweet Home!

I'm linked to Tater Tots and JelloStuff and NonsenseI heart Nap TimeCraft Envy, Funky Junk Interiors, Tip Junkie and Creation Corner!