May 18, 2012

DIY Industrial {style} Expandable Light



One day while browsing Etsy I cam across this super sweet vintage light- only problem...it sold for 1200$. 
Yup. One thousand, two hundred dollars. Now remember- it is authentically old and stuff, so that maybe counts for something.
{I purposely did not provide a link to this sale- cause I don't want to screw up someone's business/livelihood- so I didn't want to link my "fab" DIY to their sale--comprende?}
 
OK- back to the light- the second I saw it, I knew two things.
{1} I wanted it as a sconce for my spare bedroom.
{2} I knew I could make my own!
What You Need: 
Tin Funnel {from Harbor freight- 5 bucks}
Frack Mirror {from Ikea- 5 bucks}
 Light Kit  or salvage old one- {dismantled old light- zero dollars}
Vintage looking or "cool" light bulb {depends on which you buy}
 
This project was so super easy- once you have the right supplies. You read the supplies right- the Frack is a mirror from Ikea. It's in the bathroom supply section of the store and comes with a sweet expandable arm. 


Instead of buying a light kit I used the innards of an old light. I glued the base of that light {that metal pole} to the base of the funnel. Then glued the pole at the end of the light to the screwable portion of the Frack mirror.

 
I used clear automotive glue to adhere all the pieces together. It's supposed to be good for high temps- but I haven't given the lamp a good trial run...so I guess we'll see! {I'll keep ya posted! ;-)  } There's probably a zillion ways to put these items all together- but it was one of those things where this wasthe stuff on hand and went for it.
 I super love how the light can be expanded over your head for easy reading- or not. The arm swings- so the light can stay against the wall- or the window. It really makes for a great bedside reading lamp- something unique and vintage-y looking. I know some folks dig the original- and wouldn't think twice about the 1200 price tag...but my heart goes pitter-patter for a good deal and a great DIY.

 Here's a few bonus shots- from the post with new map art I just made.
You can see how the expandable piece moves in and out. It also swings side to side, so it can be moved out over the bed- or against the wall, out of the way.

What do you guys think- original or knock off?